Tuesday, June 26, 2007

QA fun!

Tarik has the list of players who were made qualifying offers by the Caps :

Steve Eminger
John Erskine
Tomas Fleischmann
Jamie Hunt
Milan Jurcina
Jakub Klepis
Brooks Laich
Brian Sutherby
Dave Steckel

Guys who make $660,000 or less get a 10-percent raise (salary maxes out at $1million). Guys who make more than $660,000 get a 5-percent raise.

Here are the guys who didn't get qualifying offers, and thus are being cut loose:

Kris Beech (no surprise)
Jiri Novotny (no surprise)
Matt Stefanishion
Joey Tenute
Jonas Johansson
Louis Robitaille
Maxime Daigneault
I am fine with cutting Kris Beech and Jiri Novotny loose. Beech hasnt proven himself at this level, despite plenty of opportunity to do so while playing on a line with Alex Semin. Novotny was one of those young guys that we took during a trade. Sometimes GMGM gets the steal they were looking for (Jurcina) and sometimes they dont. Novotny just didnt look like he was playing for a roster spot.

But Joey Tenute? Boy makes me squee. He punctured a lung during Hershey's playoffs, and was back a month later in the lineup. Every team needs a couple gritty players who put the team first and Tenute is one of them.

As for the Caps we kept, I am really glad to see Eminger on that list. I know he can be a hot mess sometimes, but he is really young and definitely in development. The Caps did a disservice to their young D-men last season when many of them were not paired consistently with vets. The Caps didnt have much of a choice in that decision, but I think Eminger deserves a chance to prove himself. I know, I know -- if he sucks, then his value as trade bait goes down. But, I am hoping to see him out there in September.

John Erskine? He is awesome. Dude scares small children, but still manages to look like he has a chihuahua named CoCo Chanel at home.

It was terrific to see Tomas Fleischmann on the list of Caps who got QAs. Flash is going to be a solid, maybe even exceptional player for an NHL team. He's got moves, he can skate, and he's got curly red hair to match his jersey. Boy needs to gain a few pounds, but he can work on that.

Milan Jurcina is one of those gems that GMGM found and made the right trade for. We got him for a 4th round pick in 2008, and the Bruins can keep kicking themselves in the ass for that one. He eats minutes, lays crushing hits on guys, and you know he gives Shaone Morrisonn one of these on Valentines Day.

Jakub Klepis: glad we kept him, now he has got to show us what he has got...consistently. He kicked ass when we sent him back to Hershey, and we need him to show his skillz up here too.

Dave Steckel: He got a little bit of time with the Caps this season and from what I saw of him, he looked like he was fighting for a spot on the roster. Having seen him in Hershey, it seems like he is a big fish in a small pond down there and the reverse would be true in DC. I think he has definitely got potential, but isnt he a checking line forward with the Caps? And dont we have a glut of those? That said, I really like him and we'll see how it plays out at training camp.

We are all pretty familiar with Laich and Sutherby, so I am not going to bite into that one.

Now, lets see who gets traded, what free agents get signed, and how many times GMGM can make us squee this summer.

9 comments:

Shmee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oops, Shmi I logged in from your account and posted as you so I deleted it! i am a moron


I love all the squee:)

Seems right on to me, cept I would tighten up on Klepis more. He needs to show up and work it. or as you would say, "be in it to win it!"

Shmee said...

Hahah, thats right! Be in it to win it!!

CapsChick brought up a good point on HLOG that Klepis has been given plenty of chances.

Anonymous said...

How is laich being resigned? I thought tarik said he is done at the end of last season.

Shmee said...

Noyb,

Havent seen you around here before so welcome!

I remember what you are talking about, I think Tarik mentioned it in his Friday chats a few times.

I think Laich is limited in his scope, but he plays hard and toward the end of the season he just couldnt get anything into the goal despite crashing and banging away.

Debcapsfan said...

I think Steckel and Gordon make Sutherby expendable.
Hopefully Laich will pick it up this year, but I don't know. He showed so much promise in his first year.
Think they'll buy out Clymer/Bradley?

Shmee said...

I hope they buy out one or the other, they serve the same role.

And, I also find it hard to believe that Sutherby was a first round pick in 2000 but its true.

Abhinav said...

Agreed on Flash, Beech, Novo, Erskine, Jerky, Emmy. Klep I'm torn about.

Also, I <3 Steck. Dude's money.

Finally, does QA = Qualifying Agreement? I thought they were QO = Qualifying Offers.

Shmee said...

Ahhh, I was just tired and made a mistake. Oops.